City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an important crossroads, located at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian trail and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which belongs to a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic aviation, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study setup. Found where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) meets the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders showed up.
This became referred to as the Monocacy Path and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Terrific Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded prior to 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon road, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's better place with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years earlier, All Saints Church had actually been founded on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally reached the Appalachian mountains (locations further west being contested between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The current town's very first house was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his better half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants also founded a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, developed in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 restricted that westward migration path till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a couple of blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived two years later on, both helping to found a parish which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, however also the seat of justice.
Crucial attorneys who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also known throughout the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That initial colonial structure was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary worship area has actually ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Town hall (so the parish remains the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American churchgoers in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on celebrated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which stays a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional medical professional to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise became one of the brand-new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became essential for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln arrested a number of members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves also gotten away from or through Frederick (since Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for liberty. During the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick also hosted a number of medical facilities to nurse the injured from those fights, as is related in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a couple of days later the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The sites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Roadway, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, simply listed below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Firm, a Social Services workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from one of the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace combated a successful delaying action, in what ended up being the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also understood as the "Fight that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the primary battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened additional northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Roadway crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery barrage occurred along the National Roadway west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile trip to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his father. He became an essential naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley worked as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Terrific Frederick Fair, among the 2 largest agricultural fairs in the State.