City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS function ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an important crossroads, located at the intersection of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which becomes part of a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general aviation, and to the county's biggest employer U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) meets the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick area became a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders arrived.
This became referred to as the Monocacy Path and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Fantastic Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was deserted prior to the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better location with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, but the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, 6th Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally reached the Appalachian mountains (areas further west being contested in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The present town's very first house was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his partner, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants also established a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, constructed in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration path till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a few blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later, both assisting to discovered a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To control this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian routine in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an important market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Important attorneys who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also understood throughout the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen major churches.
That initial colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise space has actually become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Town hall (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was developed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent established by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American parish in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its existing structure on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the background of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an important first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional doctor to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick also turned into one of the brand-new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became crucial for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued carrying freight till 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the primary Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln apprehended numerous members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also left from or through Frederick (given that Maryland was still a "servant state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for freedom. During the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted numerous healthcare facilities to nurse the injured from those fights, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a few days later the method to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Roadway west of Middletown, just listed below the top of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, provided a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Firm, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall residential or commercial property for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monument made from among the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not razing the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled a successful delaying action, in what became the last significant Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, likewise called the "Battle that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limits, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage took place along the National Roadway west of town near Red Man's Hill and Prospect Hall estate as the Union soldiers pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a cars and truck journey to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate home of his dad. He became a crucial marine leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was instrumental in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley acted as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his wife Mary Margaret Schley helped organize and raise funds for the annual Great Frederick Fair, one of the two biggest farming fairs in the State.