City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, situated at the crossway of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area, which belongs to a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Location.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders got here.
This ended up being called the Monocacy Trail or perhaps the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Great Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded before 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, possibly due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or simply Frederick's much better area with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally encompassed the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being contested in between the nests of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The present town's very first home was built by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his other half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants also established a German Reformed Church (today known as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 restricted that westward migration route till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German inhabitants in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what became a large complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived two years later, both helping to found a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian regiment in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, but also the seat of justice.
Crucial attorneys who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also understood throughout the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its main thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That original colonial structure was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise area has become an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent established by the Visitation Siblings. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then changed by the existing twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its present building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional doctor to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick also turned into one of the brand-new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Furnace near Thurmont became essential for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which started operations in 1831 and continued carrying freight up until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln detained numerous members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also escaped from or through Frederick (given that Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and look for flexibility. Throughout the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick also hosted numerous health centers to nurse the injured from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a few days in the future the way to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, simply listed below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Agency, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace battled a successful delaying action, in what became the last substantial Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also understood as the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons bombardment took place along the National Road west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Prospect Hall mansion as the Union troops pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies roughly 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a cars and truck trip to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion home of his daddy. He became a crucial marine commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's boy, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley acted as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular lender, and his other half Mary Margaret Schley helped organize and raise funds for the annual Excellent Frederick Fair, among the 2 biggest agricultural fairs in the State.