City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 feet (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summertime (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has actually long been an essential crossroads, located at the intersection of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which is part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic air travel, and to the county's largest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study installation. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) fulfills the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area ended up being a crossroads even before European explorers and traders showed up.
This became referred to as the Monocacy Path or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Excellent Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian path ended up being a wagon road, Monocacy was abandoned before the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or simply Frederick's much better location with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally reached the Appalachian mountains (locations additional west being disputed between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania till 1789). The present town's very first house was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his other half, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's inhabitants also founded a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the earliest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, constructed in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the many Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration path up until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what became a big complex a couple of blocks even more down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invite to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later, both assisting to discovered a churchgoers which became Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log building from 1792 (although superseded by bigger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (developed in 1800). To manage this crossroads during the American Revolution, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, put up 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was a crucial market town, but likewise the seat of justice.
Important legal representatives who practiced in Frederick consisted of John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was also understood throughout the nineteenth century for its religious pluralism, with among its primary roads, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That original colonial structure was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal worship space has actually become an even larger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was developed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands together with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then changed by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American congregation in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its current building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches controlled the town, set against the background of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately constructed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which remains an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional physician to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to meet West Patrick Street. Frederick also turned into one of the brand-new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont ended up being essential for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight until 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street throughout the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln jailed a number of members, and the assembly was not able to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants likewise escaped from or through Frederick (considering that Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for flexibility. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate troops marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted numerous healthcare facilities to nurse the injured from those fights, as relates in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a couple of days later on the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to halt the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monolith Road west of Middletown, simply below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the present intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Firm, a Social Providers workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall property for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangular monument made from among the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway commemorates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace combated an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last considerable Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened additional northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and an artillery bombardment occurred along the National Roadway west of town near Red Male's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union soldiers pulled back eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The reconstructed home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just previous Carroll Creek direct park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on a cars and truck journey to the presidential retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate home of his dad. He ended up being an important naval leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley functioned as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed one of the town's leading households into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent lender, and his spouse Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the annual Terrific Frederick Fair, one of the 2 largest agricultural fairs in the State.