City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Area within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, US 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Site Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an important crossroads, situated at the intersection of a major northsouth Indian trail and eastwest paths to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what ended up being Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which becomes part of a greater Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates basic air travel, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick location ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders arrived.
This became called the Monocacy Path or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some travelers continuing southward through the "Terrific Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia towards the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian trail became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned prior to the American Revolutionary War, perhaps due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities predating the French and Indian War, or just Frederick's much better place with much easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
Three years previously, All Saints Church had been established on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was named for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the proprietors of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county originally extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations further west being disputed between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The existing town's first home was constructed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (passed away 1790), who led a party of immigrants (including his wife, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants likewise established a German Reformed Church (today known as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the oldest home still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the lots of Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 limited that westward migration path till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury showed up two years later, both helping to discovered a congregation which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was designated in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian routine in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not only was a crucial market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Essential lawyers who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Key and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise known throughout the 19th century for its religious pluralism, with one of its main roads, Church Street, hosting about a half lots significant churches.
That original colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the primary praise area has ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish remains the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was constructed in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and enlarged in 1825, then replaced by the present twin-spired structure in 1852.
It became an African-American parish in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and built its present building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set against the backdrop of the very first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (eventually developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" ran through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later on became U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a diary from 1819-1878 which stays a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a local physician to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to satisfy West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise became one of the new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became essential for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight till 1924. Likewise in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) finished its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln apprehended several members, and the assembly was unable to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Servants also escaped from or through Frederick (because Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and seek freedom. During the Maryland projects, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick also hosted a number of medical facilities to nurse the injured from those battles, as is related in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's males through the city a few days in the future the method to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully tried to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Road west of Middletown, simply listed below the summit of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina troops who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque honors the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Firm, a Social Providers workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Prospect Hall residential or commercial property for the several days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monolith made from one of the boulders at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace battled an effective delaying action, in what became the last substantial Confederate advance at the Fight of Monocacy, also called the "Battle that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battlefield lies simply southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing occurred more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons bombardment took place along the National Road west of town near Red Male's Hill and Prospect Hall mansion as the Union soldiers pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, just past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a significant figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his daddy. He ended up being an important naval commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore along with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's child, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley functioned as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys stayed among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his spouse Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Fantastic Frederick Fair, among the 2 biggest agricultural fairs in the State.