City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Place within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Program map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Area City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Price quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (United States: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, US 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been a crucial crossroads, located at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian path and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and across the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It is a part of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which belongs to a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is house to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research study setup. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) satisfies the rolling hills of the Piedmont area, the Frederick area became a crossroads even before European explorers and traders arrived.
This became known as the Monocacy Trail and even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Terrific Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, etc.) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or taking a trip down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Founded prior to 1730, when the Indian trail ended up being a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned prior to the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's routine flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or simply Frederick's better area with easier access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years earlier, All Saints Church had actually been established on a hill near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree as to which Frederick the town was called for, however the likeliest prospects are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (one of the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially extended to the Appalachian mountains (locations further west being disputed between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The existing town's very first house was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate named Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his wife, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland colony.
Schley's settlers also founded a German Reformed Church (today referred to as Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Most likely the earliest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, built in 1756 by German settler Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was amongst the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (along with Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who moved south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another essential path continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it divided. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other continued west to Cumberland, Maryland and ultimately crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
However, the British after the Proclamation of 1763 restricted that westward migration route until after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Road, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Gap near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their mission church from Monocacy to what ended up being a big complex a couple of blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury got here two years later on, both helping to discovered a parish which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by larger buildings in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which ended up being St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian program in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, set up 1813, Principal Parish Church up until 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was a crucial market town, however likewise the seat of justice.
Essential lawyers who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood throughout the nineteenth century for its spiritual pluralism, with among its main roads, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That initial colonial building was replaced in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal praise area has ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and dealing with Frederick's Municipal government (so the parish stays the oldest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (throughout the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands in addition to a school and convent established by the Visitation Sisters. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was also rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then changed by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American churchgoers in 1864, renamed Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and developed its current building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the background of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on commemorated this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately developed to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later became U.S. Path 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht corresponded with Jefferson in 1824 (receiving a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which stays an essential first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Roadway.
Church Street by a regional physician to prevent the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick also turned into one of the new nation's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Transformation, Catoctin Heater near Thurmont ended up being crucial for iron production.
Frederick had simple access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued transporting freight till 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferry, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate soldiers marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick became Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession concern. President Lincoln jailed several members, and the assembly was not able to convene a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves also left from or through Frederick (given that Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to sign up with the Union forces, work versus the Confederacy and look for flexibility. During the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted a number of medical facilities to nurse the wounded from those battles, as belongs in the National Museum of Civil War Medicine on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's guys through the city a few days later the way to the Fight of South Mountain, where Reno died. The sites of the battles are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate soldiers under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial honoring Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Roadway west of Middletown, simply listed below the summit of Fox's Space, as is a 1993 memorial to killed Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Battle of South Mountain and the Fight of Antietam, delivered a short speech at what was then the B. & O. Railway depot at the existing intersection of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Neighborhood Action Firm, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall residential or commercial property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A big granite rectangular monument made from among the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway celebrates the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from people for not taking down the city on their method to Washington D.C. Union troops under Major General Lew Wallace fought an effective delaying action, in what became the last substantial Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also called the "Fight that conserved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies just southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railway junction where 2 bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railroad and a covered wooden bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the site of the main battle of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened further northeast of town at the stone-arched "Jug Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons bombardment occurred along the National Roadway west of town near Red Guy's Hill and Prospect Hall mansion as the Union soldiers pulled away eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battleground of 1863 lies approximately 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded house of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply previous Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a considerable figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile trip to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the estate house of his daddy. He ended up being a crucial marine leader of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore together with Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's son, Dr. Fairfax Schley, contributed in setting up the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained among the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a popular banker, and his partner Mary Margaret Schley assisted organize and raise funds for the yearly Fantastic Frederick Fair, one of the 2 biggest farming fairs in the State.